This Saturday, May 30, 2015 the Bronx Book Fair will be held at the Bronx Library Center featuring workshops, talks, and readings from local authors. Plus, it’s totally free!
Read below for more information:
The Bronx Book Fair is dedicated to engaging and growing the
community of poets and writers in the Bronx and to connecting those
literary artists to readers and booklovers of all ages. Through
readings, workshops, and presentations our goal is to engage the
community with a variety of literature and programs that will broaden
access to Bronx literary artists, increase library usage, and
encourage a love of books and reading.
BRONX BOOK FAIR SCHEDULE
• Music: NuyoRican School Poetry Jazz Ensemble is a performance
ensemble grounded in the idea of providing creative literature in
• Poetry performance by Grammy Award-winning poet J. Ivey
• Storyteller Thelma Ruffin Thomas
• Contributors to the Bronx Memoir Project will read personal
selections from the book.
• Bronx Heroes ComicCon! Connect with great comic book artists from
the Bronx and NYC area.
• Bronx-born Dahlma Llanos-Figueroa will read from her book
Daughters of the Stone.
• Workshop: Writing Womanhood: Telling Our Stories in Our Voice,
facilitated by Peggy Robles Alvarado and Lorraine Currelley
• Legacy Women, an all-women’s traditional musical group rooted
in Afro-Dominican and Afro-Puerto Rican rhythms and traditions, bring
their unique blend of drumming, song, and dance
• Librarian Panel Discussion: Engaging Readers: Adults, Teens and
Children. Presented by the Bronx Library Center/NYPL
• Poetry Reading: Urayoán Noel of Canto Mundo, Brian Francis of
Cave Canem and Cathy Linh Che of Kundiman Poetry Reading
• BRIO Reading: Bronx Recognizes Its Own award winners Froilan Kali
Ramirez and Nahshon Ratcliff read from recent work.
• Open Mic hosted by Five Boro Story Project. Poets, register
early, limited space.