This month’s Spotlight is on Renaissance man, Nelson “Chief 69 Seda:
I was Born in Brooklyn yes, then moved around from Fl. back to NYC and as a young child moved all over from the Bronx , Harlem , Lower East Side , and then ended up back in the boogie down Bronx. I like to say I don’t just represent one neighborhood of the Bronx but I am from the Fort apache area..I consider myself a beacon of light to all of the greater South Bronx being I am in many ways a product of the environment as a whole.
I practice most of the HIP HOP elements mainly because of my knack to envelop myself truly into things I am drawn to , also in many ways the elements in my eyes at least have no real separation , you see when I do writing or graffiti it is comparable to the dynamic feats of the Dance I do , When I emcee it is the same poetic flow I place into the creation of Burners on a wall or in a blackbook. In many ways being I am in different circles I get to have different ways to stay inspired I realize people who only Emcee or only do Graffiti can easily become bored with HIP HOP because they are mentally so boxed in and don’t have a much broad perspective on what is really beneath the surface.I try to have all my work on a basic level to be straightforward for the most part in addressing social ills and bringing forth substance and clarity to a misrepresented , diluted Culture…I like to think my work is a tool of reminding my audience of what HIP HOP not only was because I don’t live in the past but what HIP HOP truly IS…
My top 3 favorite places in the Bronx in no particular order are…
- MY HOUSE – I like to be home around my work and in my creative space.
- Crotona Park – in the summertime I love to attend the events to hear good music and rock out , meet a child and show them REAL skills It brings me a lot of joy to teach kids and make new friends in the park jams …this has always been a common denominator in many peoples lives who are involved in HIP HOP
- My neighborhood and really all of the Bronx around me because I feel the people have a specific walk , talk and demeanor about them that I find comforting , I feel at home here and when I go downtown or travel out of NYC I miss The Bronx , there is NO PLACE LIKE IT
Well, I have a lot in the works …still working on my Album project “Knowledge of Self” , which had some setbacks due to my crazy agenda , I am also planning on doing a lot more work in the South Bronx along the lines of Community Murals , Youth Programming , Showcases and Performances and creating opportunities for my friends and HIP HOP family around me so we can all prosper and get QUALITY HIP HOP out there.
…BIG UPs go to all my crews , TBB,UZN,FRC,SSB,WOTS,MW…… I would also like to note my inspirations on a last acknowledgment that my work would be Impossible if not for a few KEY individuals below:
– Rock Steady Crew – all members past and present gave me the foresight to what I could manifest.
– James Brown – keeps me FUNKY.
– Bruce Lee – keeps me focused.
– EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM OF USA. – even with its many faults the teachers and students created the person I am today… THANK YOU….
PEACE AND ALL POWER TO THE PEOPLE !!…