The Bronx seems like the borough the suffered the least amount of damage due to Hurricane Sandy and we should be thankful for that, but also use that to our advantage and help out our fellow New Yorkers. I’ll try to keep this post as up to date as possible as I come across different places for people to donate, volunteer, or generally help out. Please try to call beforehand just in case the information changes before I get a chance to update it!
- The Bruckner Bar & Grill was completely flooded during the hurricane (check out the video posted alongside this DNAInfo article). They are trying to raise money to make the necessary repairs to open up again.
- Brew Coffeehouse is collecting donations in the forms of baby items, brooms, work gloves, flashlights, and toiletries.
- Councilman James Vacca’s office will also be a drop-off location, 3040 E Tremont Ave. (718) 931-1721. (via post on Westchester Square-Zerega Improvement Organization’s fb page.)
- Donations are being accepted at Yankee Stadium, Gate 2 at 164th and Jerome. Check here for their list of suggested items.
The Bronx Underground is collecting nonperishable food items at their show this Friday, Nov. 9th. The Bartow-Pell Mansion is hosting a Volunteer Garden Clean-Up Day on Nov. 17 from 10 am – 1 pm to clean up the grounds after Hurricane Sandy and the recent snowstorm. Call 718.885.1461 or email email@example.com to register. (via Bronx Mama)
- December 15, 2012 – Park Clean-up at Joyce Kilmer Park (via New York Cares) “Joyce Kilmer Park needs your help with debris removal and overall park clean-up. If you plan to attend this project and have questions, please contact Jennifer Beaugrand at 917.378.4242 or TheBronxisBlooming@gmail.com.”
- You can also visit NYC Service for a full database of different opportunities to volunteer.